Although our services don’t cover the inside of your oven, fear not—we’ve got tips and tricks for a good, and green, oven clean!
The following method comes from TheKitchn:
(Heads up – this method calls for an overnight soak, so plan accordingly!)
What You’ll Need
- Baking soda
- Rubber gloves
- Damp dish cloth
- Plastic or silicone spatula
- Spray bottle
1. Remove the oven racks: Remove your oven racks, pizza stone, oven thermometer, and anything else you have inside the oven.
2. Make a baking soda paste: In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a few tablespoons of water. Adjust the ratio of both as needed until you have a spreadable paste. It usually takes about 3 tablespoons of water to get the desired spreadable consistency.
3. Coat your oven: Spread the paste over the interior surfaces of your oven, steering clear of the heating elements. Use gloves for this portion, since ovens can get pretty grimy. The baking soda will turn a brownish color as you rub it in; it also might be chunkier in some places than others. That's just fine. Try to coat the whole oven to the best of your abilities, paying attention to any particularly greasy areas.
4. Let it sit overnight: Allow the baking soda mixture to rest for at least 12 hours.
5. Clean your oven racks: Meanwhile, clean your oven racks using whatever method you'd like. Giving them a good scrubbing in the sink usually does the trick.
6. Wipe out the oven: After 12 hours, take a damp dish cloth and wipe out as much of the dried baking soda paste as you can. Use a plastic or silicone spatula to help scrape off the paste as needed. A damp cloth is usually enough, but a spatula might come in handy for those hard-to-reach places.
7. Spray a little vinegar: Put a little vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz everywhere you still see baking soda. The vinegar will react with the baking soda and gently foam.
8. Do a final wipe down: Take your damp cloth and wipe out the remaining foamy vinegar-baking-soda mixture. Repeat until all the baking soda residue is gone. Add more water or vinegar to your cloth while wiping, to really get the oven clean and shiny.
9. Replace your oven racks: Replace the oven racks and anything else you keep in your oven, and you're done!